A3 poster Avo characters.pdf
Avo Learning Superheroes.pdf
Our Avo Learning Superheroes
Hattie says that educators should make learning visible to enable children to be successful learners. We took this on board at the end of 2019 and asked every child what they thought they needed to do to be successful at their learning..
The responses we received from the children to the question "What does a successful learner look like?" fell into six categories.
These are below:
- I am resilient. I can bounce back when tough things happen. I take risks. I make mistakes and this helps me to learn more. I look for learning challenges.I am persistent. I don't give up.
- I do my best. I am a positive thinker. I don't give up. I do my best. I learn from mistakes and try again to get it right.
- I focus on my learning. I am curious to learn more. I ask questions to help me learn. I finish all my work. I spend time outside class, finding out about things that interest me.
- I think hard when I learn. I can solve learning problems in different ways. I think of a variety of ways to solve learning challenges. I think about things after I learn them and work out how to improve.
- I like to learn with others. I keep an open mind and listen to other people's points of view. I like to tell others about my learning. I care for others when I'm learning. I am kind to others. when I'm learning. I am a good friend. I ask for help.
- I am organised. I am on time. I am at school every day unless I'm sick. I get what I need to do my learning. I set learning goals for myself. I follow the rules. I use the learning walls to improve my learning. I can tell you what I'm learning and why I'm learning it.
Because avocadoes are special to the area of Blackbutt, and the Blackbutt Avocado Festival is held annully in September, we asked for and received permission from the Blackbutt Avocado Festival Organising Committee to use the artwork of the avocado characters for the school's avocado learning superheroes if our children could not design their own.
We asked all students from years 4 to 6 to put their thinking caps on and design characters and names to match the 6 categories.
In 2020 and beyond, we teach our children about the Avo Learning Superheroes: Avo Try; Avo Care; Avo Focus; Avo Ready; Avo Think; and Avo Brave