Brief History of Blackbutt State School
Blackbutt State School first opened 20 January
1896. It was erected on Crows Nest Road, half a kilometre from a town known
then as Little Belguim. The school
served also as a Post Office for the receipt and issue of mail.
Enrolment figures in 1912 show there were 109
students representing 54 families. A new
school was built to accommodate 120 children in Crofton Street. The old school and play-shed was purchased by
W.E. Houston. An influenza epidemic was responsible for the closure of the
school for a short period in 1919.
In 1986 a pre-School was established-this is
now been converted to a Prep classroom.
In 1987 the swimming pool was built at
the school. The library and school hall were built in 1994.